IoT Kickstart Overview
An IoT Kickstart is a Scaleway instance providing an application for a typical IoT use case.
Scaleway will spawn, install and configure the instance for you with the required software so messages flowing through your IoT Hub end up in the application.
IoT Flow Programming Kickstart Overview
The flow programming Kickstart sets up a ready to use NodeRED instance to visually create your IoT applications without a single line of code. NodeRED lets you connect functionnal building blocks together to perform actions on events, events can be messages received on your IoT Hub.
First go to the Kickstarts page in your Scaleway console and click the
+ button, then :
- Select the Kickstart purpose.
- Choose the Hub to connect to, if you have not yet created a Hub please follow these instructions.
- Choose the Device to connect to, if you have not yet added a device to your Hub please follow these instructions. Please note the Device should allow insecure connections. The reason for this is we don’t keep the Device certificates we provide you when devices are created, so we can’t provide the device certificate to the Kickstart to establish a secure, TLS mutually authenticated, connexion to your Hub. Device not allowing insecure connections won’t be listed here.
- Choose a region and name for the Scaleway instance we will spawn for you.
- Choose a password for the Kickstart application dashboard (user name is always
- Create the Kickstart and go get a coffee while it is being set up (this may take a while). You will know the Kickstart is up and running when the Dashboard link (on the Kickstart list page) will open the application dashboard. Use the credentials provided previously.
A first, very simple, application will be provisioned for you. It simply outputs any message’s contents to NodeRED debug panel. To achieve this, a
MQTT input “node” (with the correct settings) is connected to a
- Open the debug panel (the bug icon, on the top right of your screen).
- Add a new device to your hub (allow insecure connections) and grab it’s device id.
- Issue this command (host may vary, check endpoint in your Hub overview page):
mosquitto_pub -h iot.fr-par.scw.cloud -i <device id> -t my/first/topic -m "Hello NodeRED."
That’s it, the message should be displayed on the debug panel.
Of course, this example application won’t be very useful to you. It is now time for you to create your own application to suit your needs! Check NodeRED documentation for this.