Getting Started with the Nextcloud InstantApp
In this tutorial we show you how to can deploy your personal cloud storage with the Nextcloud InstantApp in seconds. Nextcloud allows you to create a self-hosted cloud storage to host files, folders, contacts, photo galleries, calendars and more on your instance.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
- you are the Owner of the Scaleway Organization in which the actions will be carried out, or
- you are an IAM user of the Organization, with a policy granting you the necessary permission sets
- You have an account and are logged into the Scaleway console
- You have configured your SSH key
- Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instance creation page displays.
- Click Create an Instance. The Instance creation wizard displays.
- Choose the Nextcloud image in the InstantApps tab.
- Follow the remaining steps to create your Instance.
Opening the mail ports to send emails
To avoid spam, remote mail ports cannot be reached from our infrastructure by default. As NextCloud requires sending mail, we need to open the ports. Your account needs to be validated to perform this operation. To get your account reviewed, please contact our assistance.
Click the Security Groups tab in the Instances overview page.
Click Create a new security group and input the security group name and description.
Check the Enable SMTP box to unblock the mail ports.
Return to the overview tab and select the security group you created in step 2.
The new security group configuration is automatically applied to the Instances.
When the Instance is running, you can see the Instance’s IP address in the server list on the control panel.
Copy the IP address and open an SSH session to find the database credentials required for NextCloud.
The MySQL password appears in the MOTD message that displays upon your first connection to the server:
Open a web browser and enter:
http://YOUR.CLOUD.SERVER.IP/nextcloud(For example if your Instance’s IP is
188.8.131.52the input must be:
The installation script prompts you to include a username and password as well as the database credentials.
Fill in the required information and press Enter to finalize the installation:
The installation takes a few seconds to complete.
Log in to Nextcloud
Once the installation completes, you are redirected to the login page.
Enter the username and password you set previously and press Enter on your keyboard:
You are now connected to your personal cloud storage and can start using it!