How to migrate Instances
The Scaleway platform makes it very easy to migrate your data from one Instance to another, or upgrade your Instance to a more powerful one if your requirements grow. In this how-to, we will upgrade an Instance by migrating from a DEV1-S Instance to a GP1-XS Instance. The new GP1-XS Instance will have the same flexible IP as the original DEV1-S Instance.
For more information about choosing the best Instance type to migrate to for your use case, see our dedicated documentation.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
- you are the Owner of the Scaleway Organization in which the actions will be carried out, or
- you are an IAM user of the Organization, with a policy granting you the necessary permission sets
- You have an account and are logged into the Scaleway console
- You have created your SSH key and added it to your account
- You have created an Instance (in our case, we created a DEV1-S Instance)
How to back up the Instance
Follow the instructions to create an image of your Instance.
How to create a new Instance from an image
- Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
- Click the Instance you created an image of.
- Click the Images tab.
- Click «See more Icon» next to the Instance’s image.
- Select Create Instance from image on the dropdown list. You are redirected to the Instance Creation Wizard, where the image has been preselected for you at step 2.
- Finish configuring the Instance according to your requirements. Notably:
- You are free to choose your Instance type. We choose to create a GP1-XS Instance, upgrading from the DEV1-S on which the image was based.
- Click Advanced Options and use the «Toogle Icon» toggle to deselect flexible IP. This creates the new Instance without a flexible IP, as we are going to attach the one from the existing Instance in the next step.
- Click Create a new Instance to finish. The Instance is created and shows in your Instances list.
How to move the flexible IP to the new Instance
Next, we will move the original DEV1-S Instance’s flexible IP address to the new GP1-XS Instance.
Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
Click the Flexible IPs tab .
Click «See more Icon» next to the DEV1-S’s flexible IP. In the pop-up menu that then displays, click Select another Instance.
Select the GP1-XS Instance from the drop-down list, and click Attach this flexible IP.
The new Instance is now reachable via the old Instance’s flexible IP.
How to delete the old Instance
Presuming that you no longer need the original DEV1-S Instance, you can delete it by following these instructions