Jump toUpdate content
How to migrate Instances
The Scaleway platform makes it very easy to migrate your data from one Instance to another, or upgrade your Instance to a more powerful one if your requirements grow. In this how-to, we will upgrade an Instance by migrating from a DEV1-S Instance to a GP1-XS Instance. The new GP1-XS Instance will have the same flexible IP as the original DEV1-S Instance.
Follow the instructions to create an image of your Instance.
- Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
- Click the Instance you created an image of.
- Click the Images tab.
- Click «See more Icon» next to the Instance’s image.
- Select Create Instance from image on the dropdown list. You are redirected to the Instance Creation Wizard, where the image has been preselected for you at step 2.
- Finish configuring the Instance according to your requirements. Notably:
- You are free to choose your Instance type. We choose to create a GP1-XS Instance, upgrading from the DEV1-S on which the image was based.
- Click Advanced Options and use the «Toogle Icon» toggle to deselect flexible IP. This creates the new Instance without a flexible IP, as we are going to attach the one from the existing Instance in the next step.
- Click Create a new Instance to finish. The Instance is created and shows in your Instances list.
Next, we will move the original DEV1-S Instance’s flexible IP address to the new GP1-XS Instance.
Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
Click the Flexible IPs tab .
Click «See more Icon» next to the DEV1-S’s flexible IP. In the pop-up menu that then displays, click Select another Instance.
Select the GP1-XS Instance from the drop-down list, and click Attach this flexible IP.
The new Instance is now reachable via the old Instance’s flexible IP.
Presuming that you no longer need the original DEV1-S Instance, you can delete it by following these instructions