How to migrate Instances
The Scaleway platform makes it very easy to migrate your data from one Instance to another, or upgrade your Instance to a more powerful one if your requirements grow. In this how-to, we will upgrade an Instance by migrating from a DEV1-S Instance to a GP1-XS Instance. The new GP1-XS Instance will have the same flexible IP as the original DEV1-S Instance.
For more information about choosing the best Instance type to migrate to for your use case, see our dedicated documentation.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
Follow the instructions to create an image of your Instance.
- Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
- Click the Instance you created an image of.
- Click the Images tab.
- Click «See more Icon» next to the Instance’s image.
- Select Create Instance from image on the drop-down list. You are redirected to the Instance Creation Wizard, where the image has been preselected for you at step 2.
- Finish configuring the Instance according to your requirements. Notably:
- You are free to choose your Instance type. We chose to create a GP1-XS Instance, upgrading from the DEV1-S on which the image was based.
- Click Advanced options and use the «Toogle Icon» toggle to deselect flexible IP. This creates the new Instance without a flexible IP, as we are going to attach the one from the existing Instance in the next step.
- Click Create Instance to finish. The Instance is created and shows in your Instances list.
Next, we will move the original DEV1-S Instance’s flexible IP address to the new GP1-XS Instance.
Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
Click the Flexible IPs tab.
Click «See more Icon» next to the DEV1-S’s flexible IP. In the pop-up menu that then displays, click Switch Instance.
Select the GP1-XS Instance from the drop-down list, and click Attach flexible IP to Instance.
The new Instance is now reachable via the old Instance’s flexible IP.
Presuming that you no longer need the original DEV1-S Instance, you can delete it by following these instructions