Jump toUpdate content
Using the snapshot import/export feature from the Scaleway console
The snapshot transfer feature allows you to export or import Instance snapshots. Snapshots are created using the QCOW2 format and stored in a Scaleway Object Storage Bucket.
A snapshot (a valid QCOW2 image) stored in a Scaleway Object Storage bucket can be imported into any Availability Zone, as long as it is in the same region as the bucket. This allows you to create Instances in other Availability Zones within the same region. For example, you can deploy Instances in
fr-par-2 based on the snapshot exported from an Instance in
More information on the QCOW2 file format, and how to use it can be found in the QEMU documentation.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
- you are the Owner of the Scaleway Organization in which the actions will be carried out, or
- you are an IAM user of the Organization, with a policy granting you the necessary permission sets
- You have a Scaleway account
- You have configured your API keys
- You have an Instance using Block Storage volumes
- You have created an Object Storage bucket
Creating a snapshot from your existing Instance
For the sake of this how-to guide, we assume you have an Instance running in the
fr-par-1 Availability Zone, your Object Storage bucket is located in the region
fr-par, and you want to create the new Instance in the
fr-par-2 Availability Zone.
Go to the Instances section of the Scaleway console and click the Snapshots tab.
Click + Create a new snapshot. The snapshot creation wizard displays. Enter a name and select the volume to snapshot. Then click Create a new snapshot. The snapshot is created, and the list of all your snapshots displays.
Click «See more Icon» next to the relevant snapshot, and select Copy to bucket. A pop-up displays. Enter the file name for your exported snapshot copy and select the destination bucket. Then click Create a copy.
Importing the snapshot into the destination AZ
- Enter the Object Storage section of the Scaleway console and click on the bucket you have exported the snapshot into. The snapshot copy displays in the list of your objects.
Depending on the size of your snapshot, the export to Object Storage may take some time. It is ready once the status indicator changes to green.
- Click «See more Icon» next to the snapshot object, then click Import as snapshot. A pop-up displays. Enter the name of the snapshot, select the destination AZ and choose the snapshot type.
Make sure that the QCOW / QCOW2 image file you want to import, uses the file extension
.qcow2 to avoid issues while importing the image.
The type can be either Local SSD, Block SSD or Unified. Use Unified if you want to be able to create both Local SSD and Block SSD volumes from this snapshot. Click Create a copy to import the snapshot into the destination AZ.
Imported snapshots should have a volume size of between one gigabyte and one terabyte.
Creating Instances from the imported snapshot
Go to the Instances section of the Scaleway console and click +Create an Instance.
Select the Availability Zone into which you have imported the snapshot and the desired Instance type. Under Choose an Image, click My Snapshots to select the imported snapshot.
- Optionally add additional volumes, enter a name and optional tags. Once your configuration is complete, click Create a new Instance to launch the Instance creation process.
You can now connect to your new Instance using SSH. It uses the same software configuration as the source Instance.