How to create a PostgreSQL database
This documentation describes the usage of a previous web hosting offer, proposed by Online.net.
Refer to the Scaleway Web Hosting documentation for information about the current web hosting product.
PostgreSQL is a different DBMS, like MySQL, allowing the management of data. It is released under a BSD license and maintained by a community and not by a company. It is well known for its stability, considered as “near Oracle” and its high respect for SQL standards.
Compared with MySQL, PostgreSQL has the following advantages:
- Better compliance with SQL standards
- Stricter data integrity
- More native data types
- Much more customizable/extensible (define custom data types and functions)
- More advanced support of transactions, stored procedures, triggers and views
- Asynchronous notifications and treatments
- Better scalability
However, it has the following limitations:
- More complex to understand
- Replication is harder to implement
- Generally less well supported than MySQL in current projects (CMS, for example)
- From your Dedibox console, click Hosting. A list of your webhosting accounts displays.
- Click Manage next to the hosting you want to configure. The webhosting overview page displays.
- Click PostgreSQL databases in the side menu. The list of your databases displays.
- Click Add database. A pop-up displays.
- Enter the database name, the database password and its confirmation. Then click Create PostgreSQL database.
For a strong password, combine lowercase, uppercase, numbers and special characters.
Your database is being created and displays in the list of your PostgreSQL databases.