Jump toUpdate content
How to change the ownership of a domain name
You must always keep the contact details relating to the owner of your domain name accurate and up to date. This can be done by following the instructions here. However, if you wish to change details pertaining to the identity of the owner (full name(s) of a natural person or corporate name for a legal entity) this must be done by the change of ownership process described below.
Before changing the ownership of the domain, you must ensure that all contact email addresses of the domain are up to date.
- From the console, click Domain near the top right of the screen.
- Click Configure domain name next to the relevant domain.
- Click the link next to Handle. You are directed to the contact details page.
- Check the details (particularly the email address), rectifying any that are incorrect.
- Ensure the ANTI SPAM feature is set to Inactive.
- If you have made changes, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update handle data.
From the console, click Domain at the top right of the screen.
Click Trades. Trading is the procedure that allows you to change the ownership of a domain.
Click Initiate a domain trade.
Select the relevant domain name and click Order.
Select the account of the new owner, searching for it via the account login if necessary, and click Confirm.
Create a handle for the new owner, containing all their contact details, and click Confirm.
Confirm the ownership trade and pay the administrative fee.
For the extensions
.be, emails will be sent to both the old and new owners of the domain. Both parties are required to validate the trade by clicking the enclosed link. Without this action, the change of ownership will not be validated.Important:
The link in the email is valid for one month. After this it expires, and to get a new validation link you will need to restart the change of ownership process. A new administrative fee will be applied.
For the extensions
.org, the validation is done directly once your change of ownership request is confirmed.
To verify that the change of ownership has been successfully carried out, you can use http://who.is/.
Once the ownership change is confirmed, you may wish to transfer your web hosting from the old owner’s account to the new one.
- From the old ownership account, back up your FTP and SQL data as well as the emails associated with the old account.
- Cancel the web hosting service using the following link in your management console: https://console.online.net/en/account/services.
- Wait for the cancellation request to go through. This may take a few minutes. You then see that the hosting service is no longer visible in the old account.
- Log into the mangaement console with the new ownership account.
- Order the domain with web hosting.
- Wait for the service to be delivered. This may take a few minutes.
- Reconfigure the FTP access, any SQL databases and your email mailboxes and upload your backup to put the site back online.