How to transfer a domain name
You can transfer any domain bought or renewed at another registrar, to Scaleway, as long as you meet the conditions shown below.
- You have an account and are logged into the Dedibox Console
- You have an unlocked domain at an external registrar (not Scaleway) and you have access to the Authorization key
- Your domain name is not within 15 days of its expiry date
- Your domain name was created at least 60 days ago, or renewed at least 45 days ago
- Your contact information is up to date with your current registrar
- The domain is not a premium domain
- The email address provided in the whois of the domain is not protected with an antispam
- In your browser, navigate to the Scaleway domain name order page.
- Enter your domain name in the search bar, and click search a domain. The Domain name choice page displays, showing that the domain is not available for buy.
- Scroll to the Are you the owner of this domain name? section, and under Transfer, click Transfer yourdomain.ext. You are directed to the transfer form.
- Enter the Authcode provided by your current registrar (if it is required: this depends on the domain extension).
By default, Scaleway’s DNS servers are not activated after the transfer. However, you can choose to activate these by ticking the box if you wish.
- Read the information about the conditions of the transfer, and click Confirm to state that you comply with them. You are directed to the hosting page.
- Select a hosting package, or click No hosting. You can additionally choose to add hosting backup if you wish.
If you buy web hosting, you get your domain name for free with your order or renewal.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Order.
- If you didn’t select hosting backup, a pop-up may display asking you to confirm your choice. Click Continue without backup or Add backup. The Contact information page displays.
- Complete the contact information for the domain name.
You must always keep the domain owner’s contact details accurate and up to date. If you wish to change details pertaining to the identity of the owner (full name(s) of a natural person or corporate name for a legal entity) this must be done by the change of owner / applicant process via the relevant page of the console.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Confirm. The Summary page displays.
- Check the summary of your order and select a payment mode from the drop-down menu. You must also agree to the terms of service as well as the web hosting specific terms, and choose whether to activate automatic renewal of your domain.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Confirm my command. You are redirected to the payment gateway to complete your payment.
You will generally receive one or more emails to confirm the transfer. However, since the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force, it is possible that the process will be completed without the use of email. This depends on your registrar and registry. If you receive no e-mail, the transfer will be validated after 14 days.