Domains - Quickstart
A domain name is the equivalent of your postal address on the web, and allows your users to find your website. Scaleway offers you the possibility of purchasing a domain name with or without web hosting. Depending on availability, you can buy the domain name and extension (
.net, etc.) of your choice.
- You have an account and are logged into the Dedibox console
- Click DNS in the Network section of the console side menu to access the domain name order page.
- Enter the domain name of your choice in the search bar, and click search a domain. The Domain name choice page displays, showing whether the domain is available, and for which extensions.
If the domain name is not available because you already are the owner, you have the option to transfer the domain so that Scaleway becomes your new registrar, and you can manage your hosting and domain from the same location. See the relevant documentation for more information.
- Select an available domain-name/extension combination from the list by clicking the checkbox next to it.
Some Top Level Domain (TLD) extensions have special requirements that owners must comply with. You may be asked for verification if you order or renew one of these extensions. Find out more here
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Order. The Hosting page displays.
- Select a web hosting package, or choose to proceed with no hosting. You can additionally choose to add hosting backup if you wish.
If you buy web hosting, you get your domain name for free with your order or renewal.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Order.
- If you did not select hosting backup, a pop-up may display asking you to confirm your choice. Click Continue without backup or Add backup. The Contact information page displays.
- Select the domain owner from your existing contacts, or choose to create a new contact.
You must always keep the contact details regarding the owner of your domain name accurate and up-to-date. Once created, if you wish to change details pertaining to the identity of the owner (full name(s) of a natural person or corporate name for a legal entity) this must be done by the change of owner/applicant process via the relevant page of the console.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Confirm.
If you chose to create a new contact, you will be required to enter their details. Do so, and click Create Handle. Once completed, the Summary page displays.
- Check the summary of your order and select a payment mode from the drop-down menu. You must also agree to the terms of service and web hosting specific terms, and choose whether to activate automatic renewal of your domain.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Confirm my command. You are redirected to the payment gateway to complete your payment.
WAPS, or Whois Accuracy Program Specification, is a system introduced by the ICANN to validate the contact information of a domain name. ICANN requires that all registrars validate the identity and the continuity of the information entered in the contact of a domain name in order to have up-to-date information about the owners.
- Scaleway validates the information by sending an email to the owner’s email address:
Hello,You received this message because you are the current owner ofdomain names.As part of a mandatory process that is required by ICANN,we need to verify if your e-mail address is still being used as a domain name holder once a year and for each modification.of your e-mail validity use as a domain name holder.WARNING: Without a response from your end within 15 days the verification fails and your domain names may get suspended.fail and you risk the suspension of domain names.You have 15 days to verify your e-mail addressby simply clicking the following link.http://registrar.online.net/waps.cgi?We remind you the information when opening your account:Your e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.orgYour telephone : +33.xxxxxxxxxxThis procedure is about the following domain names:xxxxxx.comIf you have questions about this process you can contact ourhelpdesk team at https://console.online.net/en/assistance/commercialbut do not reply to this message. Messages received to thisaddress are not read and therefore receive no answer--https://console.online.net
- Click on the link in the email within 15 days to confirm that your email address is valid.
If you do not carry out this validation, you will not be able to renew your domain name. You may end up with a renewed hosting package, and no domain name. Since the domain is not renewed and no longer responds correctly on the Internet, the site will not be available.
If you are expecting a validation email (e.g. if you have modified your domain owner’s contact information) but cannot find the email, try the following steps:
- Check your SPAM folder
- Check and update (if neccessary) the email address of your domain name contact from the console
- Open a ticket or contact the support team directly. They will be able to check to which address the validation email has been sent and whether it has been validated or not.