Dedicated servers - Quickstart
Scaleway Dedibox are our high-quality dedicated servers. With over 15 years of experience, we provide dedicated servers which are recognized for their extreme reliability and best-in-class redundancy.
- You have a Dedibox account
- You are logged into the Dedibox Console
- You have added a payment method to your account
How to order a server
Click Order on your Dedibox console homepage.
Click Server. The server offers page displays.Note:
If you want order servers from a specific datacenter, you can list all servers available in your datacenter of choice by clicking on the Datacenter selection drop-down menu on the top right corner.
Select a server model and click the Order button next to your choice. The server creation wizard displays.
Complete the following steps in the wizard:
- Select the datacenter.
Some server models are available in more than one datacenter. If you have no preference, you can leave No preference selected.
- Choose the service level. There are two plans available:
- Basic service level: this plan is included with any Dedibox server. It allows for assistance by ticket and phone, an H+4 GTI, a 99,9% SLA and RPN with limited bandwidth.
- Business service level: this is a paid plan that includes priority assistance by ticket and phone, sales assistance, an H+1 GTI, a 99,95% SLA, RPN with high bandwidth, customization and security (anti-DDoS) options, a quota of +15 failover IP, and a dedicated project manager. Find out more about pricing on this page
- Select a backup option between: 750GB FTP, 100GB FTP or no FTP backup.
- Choose a plan for protection against DDoS.
If you wish to benefit from the Preventive or Curative anti-DDoS plans, you must have activated the business service level for the server.
Click Order. A summary of your order displays.
Select your payment method in the Payment mode choice drop-down menu on the top right corner.
Check the boxes confirming that you have read and agreed to the terms of service if you have done so.
Click Confirm my order.
A confirmation of your order displays.
How to install a server
After the delivery of your server, you can begin installing it.
From the console, click Server > Server list on the top menu. A list of your servers displays.
Click Manage next to the server you want to install. The server install wizard displays.
Select the type of operating system you want to install.Tip:
For more information about OS types, refer to the dedicated servers concepts page.Note:
If you wish to complete your installation using KVM Over IP, click Install over KVM on this page.
Choose the operating system, and the OS version. Then, click Install.
Personalize the following partitioning parameters:
- the file system (ext4, ext3, ext2, xfs, reiserfs, nfts, swap)
- the mount point of the partition
- the partition size
- the software raid (RAID 0/1/5)
When you start a CentOS installation with custom partitioning, you need to keep about 5 GB of unallocated disk space to prevent the automatic installation system from crashing.
Configure the system parameters. You can edit parameters such as the name of the server, add a username, password and SSH key, and configure monitoring alerts and updates.Note:
To connect to your server via SSH, it is recommended that you create and upload your SSH key at this stage so that it can be transferred to your server during installation.
Check that all information you entered is correct on the installation summary tab.
Once the installation completes, your server will reboot on its hard disk.
Depending on the OS, the installation may take several minutes to complete. Certain operating systems may require additional reboots for completion. We recommend waiting 45 to 60 minutes before you connect to your server.
How to connect to your server
A common way of connecting to your Dedibox server is via the command line, using SSH. SSH is a secure communication protocol, which imposes an encryption key exchange at the beginning of the connection. This means that the exchange of data between the client and the server will be encrypted.
However, you may also connect to your server via a graphical interface such as Windows Remote Desktop.
You can also use FTP, SFTP or SCP to transfer data to and from your server.
- You have an account and are logged into the Dedibox Console
- You have created and uploaded your SSH key
- You have created and installed a dedicated server, and transferred your SSH key to the server during installation
How to connect via SSH
From OSX (Mac) and Linux
- Open a terminal program on your local machine.
- Enter the command below into the terminal. Make sure you replace
your_private_keywith the filename of your private key (often
your_server_ipwith the IP address of your server.ssh -i ~/.ssh/your_private_key root@your_server_ip
- If / when prompted, allow connection to the host by typing
yes, then press Enter.The authenticity of host 'myhost.ext (184.108.40.206)' cannot be established.RSA key fingerprint is 4f:ba:65:cf:14:64:a7:1e:b6:07:7c:00:71:95:21:fa.Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
To connect to your server from Windows, you will need to use a small application called PuTTy, an SSH client.
To connect to your Instance from Windows, you will need to use a small application called PuTTy, an SSH client.
Download and install PuTTy here
Launch PuTTy on your computer. The main screen of the application displays.
Enter your Instance’s IP address in the Hostname field.Tip:
To find the IP address of your Instance, log into the Scaleway console and click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. A list of your Instances and their associated IP addresses will display.
Use the side menu to navigate to the Auth sub-category by expanding Connection, then SSH and finally clicking on Auth.
Click the Browse button and select the private key file you generated previously.
Click Open at the bottom of the screen to open a connection to the server. Upon the first connection, PuttY asks you to allow the connection to the host.
Click OK to confirm. The terminal window diplays.
Enter your username and password to authenticate against the server with your SSH key.
You are now connected to your server.
How to connect via Remote Desktop
The following steps show you how to connect to your Dedibox on which you have installed Windows Server, from your local Windows machine.
Open the Remote Desktop Connection tool on your local Windows machine.
Click the drop-down arrow next to Show connections.
Enter the following information:
- In Computer, enter the IP address of your Dedibox server (e.g. 163.172.20.01).
- In Username, for a Windows Server type Administrateur.
Click Connect. You are prompted to enter a password.
Enter the password that you set during installation of your Dedibox Windows Server machine, and click OK.
You may be asked to confirm that you want to connect. Click Yes.
You are connected to the graphical interface of your Windows Server. If you need to change the language, refer to the appropriate how-to