Jump toUpdate content
Domains and DNS
What is the DNS feature?
Domain Name System (DNS) is a domain name management service that allows you to avoid browsing the Internet only by IP. It provides human management of addressable resources on the Internet. It is possible to create zones and records to manage a sub-domain (e.g,:
test.mydomain.com) or specific configurations such as the MX of your mailbox.
What are the prerequisites to register a Domain name?
To register a domain name you need:
- A valid email address to make sure your information is updated during the whole period of registration.
- A valid debit or credit card.
Which rights are associated with the owner of a domain?
The owner of a domain can update all the technical and administrative parameters referring to their domain name. During the public beta, you must contact the support team if you want to modify the contacts you have entered.
What are the responsibilities of the domain name holders?
The domain name holders must:
- comply with the terms and conditions posted by their Registrar, including applicable policies from their Registrar, the Registry and ICANN.
- review their registrar’s current registration agreement, along with any updates.
- assume sole responsibility for the registration and use of their domain name.
- provide accurate information for publication in directories such as
WHOISand promptly update this to reflect any changes.
- respond to inquiries from their Registrar within fifteen (15) days, and keep their Registrar account data and their payment information up-to-date.
Can I edit my domain name once it has been registered?
It is not possible to change domain name once the registration has been carried out. However, you can make a new registration with another domain name.
How long is the registration of a domain name valid for?
Your reservation is valid for a minimum of one year. You can reserve certain extensions for up to 10 years.
What do I do if the domain name I want to register is not available?
If a domain name is unavailable, you can test a light variation of the desired name. You can also add a letter or a number. If you still encounter any issues, you can contact the support team.
Is domain renewal automatic?
No. You must renew your domain name before the end of its validity period. If you enable the auto-renew feature, your domain name will be automatically renewed.
You will be notified by email 60 days before your domain name expires. Your domain name will then switch to “late renew” status.
Why has my current registrar opposed my request for change of domain name registrar?
The reasons for refusal are generally the following:
- The domain name is locked with the status
client transfer prohibited: the applicant forgot to remove the padlock from the registrar before requesting the transfer of the domain name.
- The domain name was registered for less than 60 days.
- The domain name was the subject of a previous transfer for less than 60 days.
- The domain name has expired.
- The domain name is the subject of a dispute in progress (UDRP procedure for example).
- The owner notified his/her refusal to transfer the domain name to another Registrar.
How long does a domain name transfer take?
A domain name transfer usually takes between 1 to 10 days. However, a domain name transfer can take longer.
Which extensions are available?
There are seven extensions available:
To be able to use the
.eu extension, you need to be a citizen of a country in the European Union.
To be able to use the
.fr extension, you need to have an address in the European Economic Area and/or Switzerland.
Why is my domain registration refused?
Your domain registration may be refused if you do not meet the conditions set by the registry.
For instance, if your extension is
.fr you must have an address in the European Economic Area and/or Switzerland otherwise, your domain registration will be declined.
Is it possible to automate the management of DNS service records?
Yes, the DNS service can be automated with the API. It is possible to use the API in a CI/CD environment to create test environments, for example.
Learn more on the Scaleway API Documentation page.
Is the DNS service IPv6 compatible?
Yes, the DNS service allows IPv6 addressing.
What are Scaleway DNS nameservers?
Scaleways DNS servers are: