How to create a PostgreSQL or MySQL Database Instance
Managed Database for PostgreSQL and MySQL provides fully-managed relational Database Instances, with MySQL or PostgreSQL as database engines.
The resource allows you to focus on development rather than administration or configuration. It comes with a high-availability mode, data replication, and automatic backups.
Compared to traditional database management, which requires customers to provide their infrastructure and resources to manage their databases, Managed Database for PostgreSQL and MySQL Instance offers the user access to Database Instances without setting up the hardware or configuring the software. Scaleway handles the provisioning, manages the configuration, and provides useful features as high availability, automated backup, user management, and more.
- You have an account and are logged into the Scaleway console
- Click PostgreSQL and MySQL under Managed Databases on the side menu. If you do not have a database already created, the creation page displays.
- Click Create a Database Instance. The creation wizard displays.
- Complete the following steps in the wizard:
- Select a database engine. PostgreSQL and MySQL are available.
- Choose a region. This is the geographical location where your database will be deployed.
- Select a database configuration. You can choose between:
- High Availability: creates a secondary Instance with an up-to-date replica of the database. If the primary Instance fails, the secondary takes over requests.
- Standalone: creates a standalone database provisioned on a single node.
- Select a node type.
- Choose your storage type and capacity. Two types of storage are available:
- Local SSD Storage - Your storage is fixed and tied to your compute resourced.
- Block SSD Storage - With this type, your storage is decoupled from your compute resources. You can increase your storage space without changing your node type, with no downtime. You can define your storage capacity by entering the desired amount in the box. You can increase your volume to up to 10 TB.
- Enable automatic backups, if necessary.
- Add a name and set a password for your user.
Your username must adhere to specific criteria.
- Length must be between 1 and 63 characters
- First character must be an alphabetic character (a-Za-Z)
- It can not start with _rdb
- Only a-zA-Z0-9_$- characters are accepted
- Enter a name for your Instance.
- Click Create a Database Instance to confirm your choices and launch creation.