How to create Read Replicas
A Read Replica is a live copy of a Database Instance that behaves like an Instance, but that only allows read-only connections. The replica mirrors the data of the primary Database node and any changes made are replicated to the replica asynchronously.
Read replicas allow you to scale your Database Instance for read-heavy database workloads. They can also be used for business intelligence workloads.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
- you are the Owner of the Scaleway Organization in which the actions will be carried out, or
- you are an IAM user of the Organization, with a policy granting you the necessary permission sets
- You have an account and are logged into the Scaleway console
- You have a PostgreSQL or MySQL Database Instance
How to create a Read Replica
Click PostgreSQL and MySQL under Managed Databases on the side menu. A list of your Database Instances displays.
Click the database name or «See more Icon» > More info to access the Database Instance information page.
Scroll down to the Read Replica section.
Click Create Read Replica. A pop-up displays.
Select the network type. Two types are available:
- Public Network - Resources in a public network are publicly visible by default. The default Access Control List (ACL) settings allow anybody to connect to resources in your network. You can restrict access by configuring ACLs in the Allowed IPs section.
- Private Networks - Private Networks allow you to create virtual Private Networks for your Databases, enabling them to communicate in an isolated network without the need for a public IP address. If you select this option, follow these additional steps:
- Select an existing Private Network to attach to your Read Replica.
- Configure your IP address and its corresponding mask.
If you select Public Network, you can attach a Private Network to your Read Replica after its creation. If you chose to attach your Read Replica to a Private Network, you will not be able to add a Public Network to the same Read Replica later.
Read replicas can have at most one direct access and one Private Network endpoint.
- Click Create Read Replica. A list of your Read Replicas displays.
The time it takes to create the Read Replica depends on the volume of the data being replicated.