Jump toUpdate content
How to view metrics
Metrics reports the usage of your Hub and devices.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
- you are the Owner of the Scaleway Organization in which the actions will be carried out, or
- you are an IAM user of the Organization, with a policy granting you the necessary permission sets
- You have an account and are logged into the Scaleway console
- You have created an IoT Hub
How to view Hub Metrics
Click IoT Hub in the Managed Services section of the side menu. The list of your IoT Hubs displays.
Click the name of the IoT Hub you want to view. The hub’s overview page displays.
Click the Metrics tab of your Hub.
The metrics of the Hub are visualized as graph:
How to view device Metrics
- Click IoT Hub in the Managed Services section of the side menu. The list of your IoT Hubs displays.
- Click the name of the IoT Hub you want to view. The hub’s overview page displays.
- Click the Devices tab of your Hub:
- Click the device name to open the Device Information view, which includes a device metrics section.
Clicking anywhere else than on the device name on the device line will display a quick metrics overview. Bear in mind that the overview is limited to the last 24-hour period.
How to read metrics
The following metrics are available on IoT Hub:
- Message count: how many messages a Hub / device sent / received
- Device activity: when a device was seen connected
- Active devices: how many Hub devices were connected
How to read message count metrics
- Message count as a Device metric is the number of messages exchanged between the Hub and the device during the period,
- Message count as a Hub metric is the sum of all messages exchanged during the period.
Any kind of MQTT packet (
PING, …) in any direction (sent or received) is counted as one message.
Device1 connects & publish a message with qos1Device1 CONNECT -> Hub<- CONNACKPUBLISH -><- PUBACKThis counts as 4 messages for Device1.This message is distributed to Device2 and Device3 (with Qos1)Hub PUBLISH -> Device2<- PUBACKPUBLISH -> Device3<- PUBACKThis counts as 4 messages.So in total 8 messages transited through the Hub.
Please note that this metric is different from the number of billed messages each month, which also depends on message size.
How to read device activity and active devices metrics
The device activity metric shows when a particular device was connected to a hub. The active device metric aggregates all the device activity metrics of that hub to show how many devices were connected at the same time.
- Device activity: this Device metric shows when a device was connected to your Hub. A device is shown as active during a time interval (which are represented by bars on the graph), if it was at least connected during a part of it. This means that the device does not have to be connected during the whole time to be shown as active.
- Active devices: this Hub metric is the number of distinct devices seen connected to your Hub during the period. Again, for each time interval, a device does not need to stay connected during the whole interval to be counted as active.
A device is flagged as connected as soon as the Hub receives a valid
CONNECT packet and
accepts it. It is flagged disconnected after its connection has been closed.
On the Scaleway console, the device active state is represented with a green positive bar, while an inactive state will be represented by a red negative bar.
Device1 connects at 9:10am, disconnects at 9:11am.- In **Last 60 min** period, it will be counted as active for *9:10am* and *9:11am* bars.- In **Last 24 hours** period, it will be counted as active for *9:00am* bar.Device2 connects at 9:11am, disconnects at 10:31am.- In **Last 60 min** period, it will be counted as active for *9:11am* to *10:31am* bars.- In **Last 24 hours** period, it will be counted as active for *9:00am* and *10:00am* bars.
How to read time scale metrics
For each metric you can choose between 5 timescales:
- Last 60 min: values from one hour ago to the last minute, aggregated per minute,
- Last 24 hours: values from 24 hours ago to last hour, aggregated per hour,
- Last 7 days: values from seven days ago to last day quarter, aggregated per 6 hours,
- Last 30 days: values from 30 days ago to yesterday, aggregated per day,
- Last 365 days: values from 365 days ago to last 30 days, aggregated per calendar month (the real number of days of each month is used for this time period)