Jump toUpdate content
How to encrypt your emails with PGP using the Scaleway webmail
- You have an account and are logged into the Dedibox Console
- You have a Webhosting Classic
- You have configured an email account
The webmail used at Scaleway to read your emails, offers options to encrypt your mails with PGP, helping to ensure:
- Confidentiality of emails
- That the sender is who they claim to be
Keep in mind that PGP encryption of your email includes a non-repudiation character, this means once the email is sent and received, you can not say “it was not me, who sent it”.
The Scaleway webmail interface currently offers one way of encrypting your emails:
Mailvelope works on the client side and requires you to install an extension in your browser:
- Install the
Mailvelopeextension depending on the browser you use.
- Once the extension is installed, click Options.
- Generate or import an already existing key.You can keep the advanced parameters in their default values.
- Once generated or imported, the key appears in the list of available keys in the extension.
- Enter your Scaleway webmail interface and click the logo of the extension, then click Add.
- Once you have configured the extension, go back to your webmail and open the interface for writing new emails.
- Click the icon of the extension to write an email with PGP. A pop-up displays.
- Write your email and when you are done, click sign or encrypt the email.
- Enter your key password:
- Click OK.
Choose your identity in the drop-down box.
Choose the addressee of your email to be able to encrypt it with their public key.Note:
To sign an email, you have to choose your identity in both the drop-down box and the Encrypt for section.
- Once you have been redirected after encrypting and/or signing, you email will appear in its final form in the window of the extension displaying:
- Click Transfer to transfer your email into your webmail’s interface.
- Once transferred, you can send the email from your interface.