HomeWebhostingClassic HostingHow to
Retrieve the header of an email
How to retrieve the header of an email
Published on 26 May 2021
The header of an email contains important information about where and how an email was sent before arriving in your mailbox. You can compare it to a stamp and the added postal information on the envelope when you send a letter in the mail.
In some circumstances, the header may contain information required by technical support. The way to retrieve this information may be different depending on the email client you are using.
How to retreive the headers of an email in Thunderbird
- Click the email concerned in the list of mails.
- Click Others in the preview screen, then click View source. A new window displays.
- Copy and paste the headers of your emails.
How to retreive the headers of an email in Gmail
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Open the email and click the arrow pointing down in the upper right corner.
- Select Show original from the menu that displays. The email headers will be displayed in a new window.
How to retreive the headers of an email in Outlook
- Go to your message list, then double-click the message to open it. The message window displays.
- Click File > Properties to see the headers. A window displays.
- Copy and paste the headers from the “Internet Headers” section.
How to retreive the headers of an email in Outlook Web Mail
- Log into your Microsoft account.
- Click the email of which you wish to retrieve the headers.
- Click the arrow pointing down. A menu appears.
- Click View Message Source. A new window appears.
- Copy and paste the headers listed in the “Internet Headers section”.
How to retreive the headers of an email in Mail for Mac
- Open the Mail for Mac application, then click the email of which you wish to get the headers.
- Click Cmd+Shift+H. A message window displays, containing the header.