How to create a snapshot
The snapshot feature allows you create an image of a specific volume of your Instance. A snapshot is a full-volume copy stored in our secure data centers. They are usually used to recover volume data or to create a copy of a volume.
Several options are available to create snapshots from your Instance:
- LSSD (Local storage): This snapshot type can be created from local volumes. LSSD snapshots can be converted to local volumes only.
- BSSD (Block storage): This snapshot type can be created from block volumes. BSSD snapshots can be converted to block volumes only.
- Unified: This snapshot type can be created from either local or block volumes. Unified snapshots can be converted into either LSSD or BSSD volumes.
You may need certain IAM permissions to carry out some actions described on this page. This means:
- you are the Owner of the Scaleway Organization in which the actions will be carried out, or
- you are an IAM user of the Organization, with a policy granting you the necessary permission sets
The snapshot feature creates backups of specific volumes only. If you wish to create a backup image that is a complete backup of your Instance including all of its volumes, check out our doumentation on how to create an image.
- You have an account and are logged into the Scaleway console
- You have created your SSH key and added it to your account
- You have created an Instance
How to create a snapshot
- Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
- Click the Snapshots tab.
- Click the + Create snapshot button. You are directed to the snapshot creation wizard.
- Complete the following steps in the wizard:
- Choose a name for the snapshot, or use the default suggested name.
- Select the volume you wish to snapshot. All of your Instances’ volumes will be shown on the drop-down list, grouped by Availability Zone.
- Select the snapshot type. The available types of snapshots depend on your volume type and can either be LSSD, BSSD, or Unified.
- Check the Estimated Cost.
- Click Create snapshot to finish. You are redirected to the Snapshots tab, where your new snapshot now appears in the list.
How to create a volume from a snapshot
You can create a volume from a snapshot as follows:
Click Instances in the Compute section of the side menu. The Instances page displays.
Click the Snapshots tab.
Click «See more Icon» next to the snapshot you want to create an image from. A drop-down menu displays.
Click Volume from snapshot. A pop-up displays.
Enter a name for the volume (or use the default suggested name), select the volume type, and click Create Volume from Snapshot.Note:
The available volume types may change according to the type of snapshot you select.
Click Create image from snapshot.
The volume is created, and can be viewed in the Volumes tab. Check out our documentation on attaching volumes and mounting volumes to learn how to use the volume with your Instances.
How to create an Instance from a snapshot
Follow the instructions for creating an Instance. At the Choose an Image step of the creation wizard, click the My Snapshots tab, and select the desired snapshot.
You can see the snapshotted volume in the Instance’s volumes at step 4 of the creation wizard.