Jump toUpdate content
How to manage IAM users
You can manage IAM users of an Organization if you are the Owner of that Organization, or if you have sufficient permissions (via policies) to do so. Management actions include adding and removing users to/from groups, attaching and detaching policies to/from users, viewing and deleting users’ API keys and removing users from the Organization.
- Click Identity and Access Management (IAM) from the top-right of your Organization Dashboard in the Scaleway console. The Users tab of the Identity and Access Management dashboard displays.
- Click the name of the user you want to manage. Alternatively, click «See more Icon» next to the user, and select Overview. Either way, you are taken to the user’s Overview tab.
Follow the steps below depending on the management action you wish to take.
From the user’s Overview tab, you can view information including the user’s status, type (Guest or Owner), joined on date and whether they have MFA enabled in the User Information panel at the top of the page.
From the user’s Overview tab, scroll down to the Groups panel. A list of the groups the user is part of displays:
- Click the x button next to the group you want to remove the user from. A pop-up displays asking you to confirm the action.
- Click Remove from group to confirm.
Removing a user from a group means that any permissions given to them via the group (i.e. from an attached policy) will no longer apply. Be sure you want to remove these permissions from the user before proceeding.
A user may be part of multiple groups at the same time.
- Click Add to group to add the user to a group. A pop-up displays, prompting you to select a group.
- Select the group you want to add the user to from the drop down list, or type the name of the group.
- Click Validate to finish.
The user is added to the selected group, and you are returned to the Overview tab.
To create a new group, see our dedicated how to.
From the user’s Overview tab, scroll down to the Policies panel. A list of policies attached to the user displays:
- Click the x button next to the policy you want to detach from the user. A pop-up displays asking you to confirm the action.
- Click Detach policy to confirm.
Since policies can only be attached to one principal at a time, detaching a policy from the user means that the policy becomes orphaned. The policy will remain in your list of policies, but will have no effect until you attach it to another principal.
A user may be attached to multiple policies.
- Click Attach a policy to attach another policy to the user. A pop-up displays, prompting you to select a policy.
- Select the policy you want to attach to the user from the drop down list, or type the name of the policy.
- Click Validate to finish.
The selected policy is attached to the user, and you are returned to the Overview tab.
To create a new policy, see our dedicated how to.
- From the user’s Overview tab, click the Credentials tab.
You can view details of the user’s API keys.If you want to delete a user’s API key, proceed to the following steps:Note:
You cannot see the secret key part of any API keys, nor can you create an API key for any IAM user other than yourself.
- Click «See more Icon» next to the API key you wish to delete, and select Delete.
A warning displays, reminding you that this action is permanent.
- Type DELETE and click Submit to confirm the action.
- From the user’s Overview tab, scroll down to the Remove user panel:
- Click Remove user. A warning displays, asking you to confirm your action:
- Type REMOVE to confirm, and click Remove to validate.